Indonesia has gorgeous islands and beaches, amazing cultural heritage and jaw-dropping architecture, and is one of the most popular places for surfing and yoga retreats in the world. It was hard, but below I share the 52 most amazing reasons to visit Indonesia.
Let’s explore Indonesia! Officially the Republic of Indonesia, it is located in Southeast Asia and Oceania between the Indian and Pacific oceans. It consists of over 17,000 You may have heard of Sumatra, Java, Borneo, and New Guinea, but there are thousands of other islands and amazing things to do in Indonesia.
52 Reasons to Visit Indonesia in 2023
This is the first time I have had the opportunity to share my favorite reasons why people over the globe should visit Indonesia. The country is home to 250 million people and has 18,306 islands. 8,844 of the islands have names so it’s too huge for only 52 reasons to visit Indonesia and this jewel of the equator.
But I will try my best, so here are the top 52 reasons why you should pack your bag and come here, to visit us in Indonesia :
1. Imagine yourself watching an amazing sunrise in Bromo mountain in East Java. The sunrise is so spectacular, so you need to hold your breath when you see the sun coming slowly and starting to shine on the world.
2. My favorite place to watch the sunset is in Gili Meno, Lombok, and Karimun island in North Java. That’s if you want a total red sky when the sun sets down.
3. Give yourself a spiritual walk in Borobudur temple in Central Java, a Unesco World Heritage and part of 7 wonders of the world. After that, still in Central Java, simply head to the beautiful Prambanan temple, it’s a Hindu temple with special feminine architecture.
Don’t just walk home immediately, enjoy the Rama-Sinta performance in Prambanan, the best time is when there is a full moon. Mystically amazing!
4. Indonesians are creative, we have around 3000 original traditional dances. You can enjoy (or learn) the Saman dancer performance from Aceh, Jaipong dance from Java, Kecak dance from Bali, and many more.
5. Indonesia is full of sound, rhythm, and music. You might want to listen to Gamelan, a piece of traditional ensemble music from Java and Bali. You also can learn to play it!
6. Listening to Angklung, a Sundanese musical instrument from bamboo, declared by Unesco as Indonesian Heritage in 2010 at Saung Mang Udjo, Bandung.
7. Enjoy the traditional puppet performance called Wayang in Keraton Jogjakarta, Central Java.
8. Want to see a mystical performance? Try to see Kuda Lumping, Banten, when people can eat glasses and fire. Or Tari Piring (Plate dancing) from Bukittinggi, when the dancer dance happily while stepping the broken plates without hurt!
9. Attending the festival of the dead in Tana Toraja, South Sulawesi. A funeral celebration called Rambu Solo.
10. Consider buying our traditional fabric called Batik. Not just Javanese Batik, but each area in Indonesia has a different pattern of fabric which is so awesome!
For instance, go to see Tenun fabric called Songket in Palembang, the Sasak people handmade fabric in Lombok, full of color fabric made by Dayak people in Kalimantan. You will not get it anywhere except here.
11. One of the reasons people fall in love with in Indonesia is the food! Try the real nasi goreng here for less than 1 USD, the sweet peanut sauce salad called Gado-Gado, spicy beef stew called Rendang, Madura Chicken Satay with special herbs, lots of sambal and soto!
Soto Ayam, Soto Betawi, Soto Tangkar, Soto Mie. You named it – savor your tongue with our delicious food.
12. If you are hungry in the middle of the night, don’t worry. In most Indonesian big cities, street food is open until late! Many malls are also open until 10 pm. Some weekends, they are open until 12 pm. Yes, Indonesians love to be active even late. Jakarta city never sleeps!
13. Are you a coffee lover? Bet you only want to find fine tasty excellent coffee beans. Here, you can get so many, from Toraja coffee, Aceh Gayo coffee, Lampung coffee, Java coffee.
Try it, and you won’t tolerate shit coffee anymore. Take a sip of gross but expensive Luwak coffee too. Tastes excellent originally comes from Sumatra, Indonesia.
14. The home of lots of tropical fruits that are only available in Indonesia, such as Duku, Salak, the honey-sweet tasted potato called Ubi Cilembu, Matoa fruit from Papua, strong smell Durian, fruit that has powder called Kesemek and lots.
15. Our instant noodle is famous among people around the world. Try Indomie, you will want it more and more and more. Just make sure to limit the consumption of instant noodles. But it’s so Indonesia, all people in Indonesia love Indomie.
16. Try our favorite local food, tempe. It is made from soybean and already goes throughout the world. Missed by so many people once they out of Indonesia.
17. You can try beer in Indonesia which does not make you drunk, it is called Bir Pletok, a traditional drink from Betawi, Jakarta.
18. Indonesia has so many kinds of herbal drinks. Our ancestors believed that herbal drinks are able to heal people than modern medicine. Until now, people still choose Temulawak, Kunyit Asam, Beras Kencur to drink. You might want to try it as well.
19. If America has Grand Canyon, we have a beautiful Canyon that is so green in May – June every year, that it is called it Green Canyon. Located in Pangandaran, Java. Try the body rafting here.
20. Have you ever heard the book Ring of Fire? Yes, that’s book inspired by volcanoes in Indonesia. Hike to Merapi mountain in Central Java, Krakatao, Papandayan mountain in Garut to get an incredible view once in your lifetime.
21. Absolutely beautiful hiking and seeing the sulfur miners in Ijen crater, East Java. When you can see blue fire – the natural fire that burns the sulfur.
22. Caving is another fun outdoor activity. Try to go to Gua Jomblang in Jogjakarta. A 300 meters alley with such beautiful natural ornament inside and a place where you can see a phenomenal light from above.
23. So many beautiful beaches to mention! Karimun Jawa in Semarang, Pink Beach in Flores, Gili islands, Amed beach in Bali, Tanjung Bira South Sulawesi, we have summer all year!
24. For surfing lovers, incredible waves are here. Go to G-Land in Banyuwangi for surf camp, and go surfing with the wild waves of Nias and Rote Island. Learn surfing in Kuta Bali, Padang-Padang beach Bali, or Batu Karas beach in West Java.
25. Swimming with Manta Ray in Nusa Lembongan. You can’t swim? Just snorkeling with a life jacket to meet the giant Manta.
26. Swimming with the jellyfish stingless on Kakaban Island, Derawan, Kalimantan.
27. East Indonesia is the best place for diving. Wakatobi in South East Sulawesi can be your best choice for diving.
28. Enjoy the full solitude with magical scenery in Raja Ampat, West Papua.
29. Book a flight to Ora beach, the hidden paradise in Central Maluku. Cheaper than Maldives!
30. Chill out in Lake Samosir, North Sumatra. The largest volcanic lake in the world.
31. The three-colored lake in Kelimutu, Ende, East Nusa Tenggara will make you breathless in awe.
32. We have a beautiful savannah in Baluran National Park, East Java just like little Africa! And amazing savannah in Sumba, East Nusa Tenggara.
33. Walk in awe around Lembah Harau, West Sumatera. You can make an echoing scream because of the huge stones on both sides.
34. Cycling trip in Sumatra. Try the kelok 44 road and follow Tour de Singkarak. Annual global cycling competition.
35. Indonesia has lots of rice fields. The famous rice terraces to see is in Tegalalang, Ubud, Bali or go to see amazing spider web rice fields in Flores.
36. Want to see the wild Komodo? Yes, come here, you can see Komodo island in East Nusa Tenggara. The only place in the world where you can see wild Komodo walking close to you. Also part of new wonders of the world.
37. Get close to the animals by enjoying Elephants playing with the water in Tangkahan, North Sumatra.
38. Meet up with the Orange Orang Utan in Bukit Lawang, Sumatra.
39. Adventure hunting. Walk in the steps of the endagered one-horned Rhino in Taman Nasional Bukit Barisan Selatan and Ujung Kulon.
40. Find the historical earliest art in cave paintings in Rammang-Rammang, South Sulawesi.
41. Exploring the mystery of Gunung Padang – the incredible megalithic site for those who love archeology! A place where could be Machu Pichu from Asia!
42. We still have a rare tribe who are against modern life and live with no electricity and no modern equipment in Baduy Dalam, Banten, Java.
43. The home of the largest individual endangered flower called Rafflesia Arnoldi in Sumatra and Kalimantan usually only blossoms around August – November, once a year.
44. Fancy for fashion? Just like Brazil, we have an annual colorful Jember Fashion Festival every August in Jember, East Java.
45. Learning the martial arts for Indonesians called Pencak Silat – it’s the Indonesian fighting style.
46. See the making of Phinisi boat in Tana Beru, South Sulawesi.
47. Wanna fly? A real fly? Go paragliding in Puncak, West Java.
48. Weekend escape to Belitung island from Jakarta. It is possible. The island has blue crystal clear water and a lovely area to snorkel and enjoy sotong (squid).
49. Don’t want to go outside Jakarta? Enjoy a Car Free Day when the main road is closed and you are able to run or cycle every weekend from 6 am until 11 am.
50. Enjoy beautiful fine dining with lots of Indonesian antique ornaments in Loro Djonggrang Restaurant, Jakarta.
51. If you are in Jakarta and don’t have so much time, you can consider going to Taman Mini Indonesia (TMII). A huge park where you can see traditional houses in Indonesia.
52. Last but not least, meet up with Indonesian people, the genuine, smiling, friendly people who will make you feel warm, once you step into our country.
So, what are you waiting for? Give a chance to feel the love in Indonesia, I bet you will fall in love with this country. Indonesia is just simply wonderful.
Check out Dea’s adventures on her blog: http://deasihotang.wordpress.com
Pin it for Later!
Follow 52 Perfect Days on
Bloglovin | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
The post 50+ Fantastic Reasons to Visit Indonesia appeared first on 52 Perfect Days.